Subject: bug#31858: closed (Re: bug#31858: 27.0; doc of `window-toggle-side-windows')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 05:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31858: 27.0; doc of `window-toggle-side-windows'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31858: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31858
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31858: 27.0; doc of `window-toggle-side-windows'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 08:43:34 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 21:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Would replacing this:
> >   Toggle side windows on specified FRAME.
> > with this:
> >   Toggle display of side windows on specified FRAME.
> > solve your problem with this doc string?
> 
> It's definitely an improvement.

OK, I did that, and also changed the wording to be a bit more
reader-friendly.

Subject: 27.0; doc of `window-toggle-side-windows'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 05:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

AFAICT, neither the doc string nor the manual says what toggling the
side windows DOES or MEANS.  Just what behavior or appearance is
toggled?  What happens when a side window is - or all side windows are -
toggled?

The command is said to be "handy to toggle the appearance of all side
windows on a specified frame".  But I have no idea what that appearance
toggling amounts to.  Does it swap left for right windows and top for
bottom?  Does it hide/show the currently shown/hidden side windows?
Does it reverse the order?  Does it change the focus?  Just what gets
toggled?

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-03-21
Repository revision: e70d0c9e66d7a8609450b2889869d16aeb0363b5
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install -C 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''