Subject: Re: bug#31858: 27.0; doc of `window-toggle-side-windows'

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 19:18:03 -0400

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > AFAICT, neither the doc string nor the manual says what toggling the
>> > side windows DOES or MEANS.  Just what behavior or appearance is
>> > toggled?  What happens when a side window is - or all side windows are
>> > toggled?
>> 
>> That's strange.  I found answers to those questions in the doc string:
>> 
>>   If FRAME has at least one side window, save FRAME’s state in the
>>   FRAME’s ‘window-state’ frame parameter and delete all side
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   windows on FRAME afterwards.  Otherwise, if FRAME has a
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   ‘window-state’ parameter, use that to restore any side windows on
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   FRAME leaving FRAME’s main window alone.  Signal an error if
     ^^^^^
>>   FRAME has no side window and no saved state is found.
>> 
>> So I don't understand what is missing there.  Could you be more
>> specific regarding the problems you see in this text?
>
> The doc should say that the function deletes all side windows
> of FRAME, or it restores all such previously deleted side windows.

Seems like it does say that?

> There currently is no statement of just what gets toggled.

?

> The toggling behavior is described, but what's not said is
> that it is the presence/existence/validity (pick the right
> term) of the side windows that is toggled.

It's the first sentence of the quoted paragraph: "If FRAME has at least
one side window..."