Subject: Re: bug#31852: Make memory-limit obsolete

From: "Daniel Colascione" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 08:51:47 -0700

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> If nobody uses the function, I see no gain at all, because obsoleting
>> a function tells those who use it not to.
>
> If Emacs has useless and confusing features that consume documentation
> space and
> implementation resources, that is a net harm to current and future users.
> Omitting such features is therefore a net gain to users. The benefit to
> users by
> omitting useless and confusing features is worth the maintenance cost to
> us of
> obsoleting these features.
>
> That being said, it appears I haven't convinced you to obsolete
> memory-limit, so
> I installed patch 1 but not patch 2 and am closing the bug report.

I agree with obsoleting memory-limit. I don't like the vsize patch you
installed though: what does the amount of address space reserved actually
tell anyone? There's no relationship to actual resource consumption.

IMHO, memory-limit should return a combination of the Lisp heap size with
whatever malloc says is its own heap size.