Subject: bug#31803: Problems in chroot.2, ln.1, test.1, [.1

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:12:15 -0700

On 06/13/2018 03:07 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> OK, this should fly.  Please mark up the manual sources with those (and put
> a comment somewhere explaining why we're doing this, to deconfuse future
> maintainers) and mail me a copy.  Then I'll teach doclifter to DTRT.

It turns out to be more complicated, since test.1 and ln.1 are 
automatically generated by help2man. Also, in looking at the troff 
source I thought it'd be cleaner to quote the square brackets, like this 
for example:

.B "["

If this doesn't work for doclifter please let me know; we could use '.B 
[\&' instead, as now that I think about it that's a more common way to 
address similar issues than the comment hack I mentioned in my previous 
email.

Your bug report mentioned chroot.2, but that man page belongs to the 
kernel; coreutils is in charge of chroot.1 so I guess you should send 
the chroot.2 section to the kernel man page maintainers.

Finally, there is no file '[.1' in coreutils. Perhaps this is some alias 
maintained downstream? Anyway, it's likely just a copy of test.1 so we 
should be OK here.

I installed the following patches into coreutils and I hope this fixes 
things for you.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/commit/?id=de73c801f34438c1457118f33e26e688554019d3