Subject: bug#31796: 27.1; dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace fails to find multiline regexps

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 00:20:12 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > To sum up, there are options, but I don't see a working solution that is 
  > based on GNU Grep.

Can people think of a new feature that would be easy to add to GNU grep
that would make it easy for Dired to handle all cases correctly?

I don't know what the problem is, but if it has to do with parsing the
grep output, here's an idea: an option to tell GNU grep to use quoting
on file names and the match strings, Perhaps in the same way GNU ls
does.

Another idea is an option to output numerical byte positions in the
file instead of the lines that are matched.  Emacs can feed those byte
positions into byte-to-position to convert them into buffer positions.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)