Subject: Re: bug#31793: 26.1; (error "Lisp nesting exceeds‘max-lisp-eval-depth’")

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 16:59:01 +0300

> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 18:38:40 -0400
> 
> >> The problem is in step 4. The eldoc-global-mode buffer list isn't reset
> >> in step 2. Step 4 will try to enabe the mode for the same buffer and
> >> start a sequence of calls at 2. I was able to fix this problem by
> >> setting the buffer-list to nil inside ,MODE-enable-in-buffers. I
> >> attached a patch below.
> 
> Looks good to me.  I guess there is some risk since we are modifying a
> macro which affects a lot of modes, but when balanced against the "risk"
> that we actually fix similar problems in those modes I think this should
> go to emacs-26.

OK, but please add a comment there explaining why we set the
MODE-buffers to nil.

> > Added the bug number to the changelog entry and attached a new patch.
> >
> >>From 893e62ee7e3630c981adb3efa39ef409500d7657 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> > From: John Shahid <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 11:12:44 -0400
> > Subject: [PATCH] Avoid turning on the global-minor-mode recursively
> >  (Bug#31793)

It is better to add the bug number to the body of the log message,
not to the header, because the latter has only limited space.

> > * lisp/emacs-lisp/easy-mmode.el (define-globalized-minor-mode): Reset
> >   the buffer-list inside ,MODE-enable-in-buffers to avoid enabling the
> >   mode recursively
> 
> I would drop that comma from the commit message though, it's not really
> part of the variable name, it's only meaningful in the context of a
> backquote (and you forgot the period at the end of the sentence).

Agreed.

Thanks.