Subject: bug#31786: 'pre-inst-env guix --version' is not updated by new commits"

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:21:41 +0200

Hello George,

George Clemmer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> But with subsequent git commit/make cycles the version does not
> change. It doesn't change when the guix package is updated either. For
> example, after pulling and building the recent commit updating the guix
> package ...

Currently the version number is hardcoded in ‘configure.ac’, so the fact
that running “git pull && make” doesn’t change it is expected.  So to
me, it’s not a bug.

We could improve on that (see for instance how Guile does it with
build-aux/git-version-gen), but it still won’t be updated at each commit
because that’d be inconvenient: ‘config.h’ would regenerated, so in turn
we’d need to rebuild all of the C++ code.

‘guix pull’ does the right thing though, which I think is more important
than the build tree.

> Side questions:
>
> 1) why don't you gitignore "doc/stamp-1"?

Good idea, done!  :-)

> 2) why don't you gitignore .po files?

Because they are checked in.

Thanks for your report.

Ludo’.