Subject: Re: bug#31786: 'pre-inst-env guix --version' is not updated by new commits"

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 00:24:32 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Proposed (revised) footnote:
>>
>> (3) The Guix version in the Guix build is set by './bootstrap'. Thus,
>> the version reported by './pre-inst-env guix --version' is not updated
>> by subsequent 'git pull; make' steps. To update the version (and rebuild
>> everything), use 'git clean -dfx; ./bootstrap; ./configure; make'.
>
> I’m wary of adding this for similar reasons that Ludo wrote earlier.  In
> my opinion this ends up cluttering the manual with notes and what I
> consider to be only tangentially relevant for readers of the manual.

An alternative might be to change the output of “guix --version” in the
presence of GUIX_UNINSTALLED, which is set by “pre-inst-env”.  This
could be a simple change in “show-version-and-exit” that would use
something other than “%guix-version” when GUIX_UNINSTALLED is set.

What do others think?

--
Ricardo