Subject: 'pre-inst-env guix --version' is not updated by new commits"

From: George Clemmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 14:01:11 -0400

When I clone and build Guix from scratch, it produces the untracked file
"doc/stamp-1" which contains the version number built into the Guix doc
and appears to be created from a call to 'git describe'.

But with subsequent git commit/make cycles the version does not
change. It doesn't change when the guix package is updated either. For
example, after pulling and building the recent commit updating the guix
package ...

commit 8b3aea9d9e022b20137cec93f668df8fa051abd9
Author: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Jun 10 23:31:01 2018 +0200

    gnu: guix: Update to 77a1aac.

    * gnu/packages/package-management.scm (guix): Update to 77a1aac.

g1@sysi31 ~/gom/.emacs.d/guix/guix [gmm]$ git describe 8b3aea9d9e022b20137cec93f668df8fa051abd9
v0.14.0-6300-g8b3aea9d9

"doc/stamp-1" and guix version remain "stuck" on June 8th ...

g1@sysi31 ~/gom/.emacs.d/guix/guix [gmm]$ cat doc/stamp-1
@set UPDATED 8 June 2018
@set UPDATED-MONTH June 2018
@set EDITION 0.14.0.5478-1458f7
@set VERSION 0.14.0.5478-1458f7

g1@sysi31 ~/gom/.emacs.d/guix/guix [gmm]$ ./pre-inst-env guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.14.0.5478-1458f7

They remain stuck after 'make clean; make', and './bootstrap;
./configure; make' The only way I found to "unstick" them is 'sudo git
clean -dfx'.

Side questions:

1) why don't you gitignore "doc/stamp-1"?
2) why don't you gitignore .po files?

TIA - George