Subject: bug#31786: 'pre-inst-env guix --version' is not updated by new commits"

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:10:25 +0200

Hi George,

George Clemmer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 08:54:49AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> The other aspect, from a maintenance and readability viewpoint, is that
>>> we could quickly add up lots of explanations that we’ll have to keep
>>> up-to-date and that may make more important information harder to find.
>>
>> Yeah, I'm worried about this too. It's tough to strike the correct
>> balance.
>
> IMO Guix is great for hackers, maintainers and sysops. The doc is
> appropriate for such users, well done, spare, and already voluminous.
>
> This footnote suggestion, and others rejected in the past, are motivated
> by my assumption that you will want to make Guix attractive to less
> sophisticated users.

But non-hacker users can use Guix pull!  Running Guix before it is
installed (with pre-inst-env) is described in the manual as a "Hacker
trick".

> Maybe my assumption is wrong? Maybe you want only "elite" users?

Guix pull is well documented, and should be usable for non-elite users.

> Or maybe you want to defer the less sophisticated users to later in the
> development cycle?

Clément