Subject: Re: bug#31772: 26.1; (thing-at-point 'list) regression

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 00:36:00 +0800

On 2018-06-11 18:10 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> But up-list signals an error in the comment in *scratch*, for example,
> so I'm not sure what consistency are we talking about here.

If you have a line of lisp code that is commented out, up-list/down-list
behave just as well. If there is no list it signals an error. I think it
has been like that for ages.

> That's unfair, to say the least.  During the entire development of
> Emacs 26, there was a conscious effort to avoid backward-incompatible
> changes as much as possible, and in many cases leave an option behind
> that would get previous behavior, sometimes people felt it was too
> zealous.  Yes, several incompatible changes might have fallen through
> the cracks, but if you think it's too much, please consider being more
> active on the development list, and make sure your voice is heard when
> these decisions are made.

Sorry. After sending the email I also felt it might be a bit negative. I
have sent another email just now to elaborate on what I meant.

Leo