Subject: bug#31772: 26.1; (thing-at-point 'list) regression

From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 01:25:12 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Leo Liu wrote:

> On 2018-06-12 00:06 +0900, Tino Calancha wrote:
>> Since you seem a skilled Emacs user, you are very welcome to join us,
>> all-volunteer Emacs developers, to keep improving Emacs and delight us
>> with a 'full-perspective how to use it'.
>
> No one has a full-perspective. We all work with our partial perspective.
> That's not an issue. I am simply pointing out the irony it only takes
> one complaint to change something that's in Emacs for a long time but we
> often forget the majority that are happy with the feature never come and
> tell us from time to time what a great feature it is, they love it and
> don't change it.
>
> For example, a lot of lisp programmers use paredit (not part of emacs).
> Two or three major releases ago, the syntax of @ in (emacs-)lisp mode
> was changed so that some unusual function names containing ,@ could
> fontify properly, in doing so typing `,@(' in paredit gives you `,@ ()'
> instead of `,@()'.
You are not alone.  This also happen to me.

For example, Dmitry makes obsolote (to be 
more precise rebind Q to a new command) `dired-do-query-replace-regexp'.
I like this command very much.  I still use it and don't understand why
it shouln't been bind by default to the classical Q.  But it's also
true that I wasn't collaborating with Emacs at the time that change was
made.  This people spent their free time to make Emacs great for free.
I really thanks them so much, that I became one of them.

I cannot blame Dmitry, just thanks him for his great contributions
to the project and time invest on it.  I think he is awesome, as all
Emacs guys.

>> Honestly, I am really looking forward to you join us. I wish all the
>> Emacs users happy. That would be awesome.
>
> I already joined in but I am a little short of time lately.
Oh so sad to heard that.  I understand the work is the more important.

That been said, if you can find some time in the future in your weekends,
or just read the Emacs devel list, or the bug list and speak up when the 
people are asking for opinions, I would be very happy to listen your 
feedback.  At the end we all want to make Emacs better and better.
That's the only goal.  We all love Emacs, right?