Subject: 26.1; Point in VC change log is not centered as documented

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 16:23:40 -0300

The documentation states [1]:

  Point is centered at the revision of the file currently being
  visited. With a prefix argument, the command prompts for the revision to
  center on, and the maximum number of revisions to display.

But I get a log which is sorted from most recent to oldest revision with
the point positioned at the end. This is not only different from the
documented behavior but also very inconvenient since the initial
revision is probably the least interesting one.

I'm testing this in a simple git repository with a few revisions of
one file.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/draft/manual/html_node/emacs/VC-Change-Log.html#VC-Change-Log

---

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-05-29 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Manjaro Linux

Recent messages:
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [19 times]
Checking out /tmp/repo/x.txt.~c952114056dcaf2a9f3819efca2bcb6d7a9e216f~...done
C-c C-c is undefined
Mark set
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
Checking in /tmp/repo/x.txt...done
Mark set
Quit [3 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Git-Log-View

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(misearch multi-isearch vc-svn vc-src vc-sccs vc-rcs vc-mtn vc-hg vc-cvs
vc-bzr log-edit network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias
smtpmail pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-annotate vc-dir ewoc vc-filewise
add-log log-view pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher vc-git display-line-numbers
server doom-themes-org cl-extra yasnippet elec-pair
highlight-indentation help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy
find-file-in-project ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap thingatpt windmove
diff-mode easy-mmode elpy-shell pyvenv esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
elpy-profile elpy-django elpy-refactor subr-x python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time format-spec advice json map grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags xref
project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
doom-tomorrow-night-theme doom-themes doom-themes-common winner ring
paren ido-completing-read+ memoize s cus-edit wid-edit minibuf-eldef ido
company edmacro kmacro pcase cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package
easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 674816 46739)
 (symbols 48 35134 1)
 (miscs 40 1465 1041)
 (strings 32 86018 1216)
 (string-bytes 1 2355400)
 (vectors 16 58357)
 (vector-slots 8 985368 4204)
 (floats 8 236 304)
 (intervals 56 1181 137)
 (buffers 992 26))