Subject: Re: bug#31760: 26.1; ruby-mode enables flymake-rubocop by default if the rubocop executable exists

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:16:00 +0300

On 6/8/18 9:42 PM, João Távora wrote:
> Petko Bordjukov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Emacs 26.1 enables flymake-rubocop by default if the rubocop executable
>> is present in the system. Since most if not all of the warnings that
>> Rubocop generates are not raised by Ruby I consider them not adopted by
>> the Ruby community by default. Based on that, I propose that either
>> using Rubocop by default is turned off, or at least a more inteligent
>> per-project Rubocop detection scheme is implemented.
>>
> Paging Dmitry :-)

So... First of all, there is the variable 
ruby-flymake-use-rubocop-if-available, to satisfy the individual 
preference to turn Rubocop off.

Second, what kind of per-project detection scheme? I suppose we can 
abort if no ruby-rubocop-config file is found. That would certainly work 
for me, but would maybe conflict with the general usage of Rubocop out 
there (but probably not).

Maybe Bozhidar has something to say on this?