Subject: Re: bug#31759: 26.1; Unwelcome change in mode-line revision display for Mercurial repositories

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 19:44:26 +0100

On Fri 08 Jun 2018, Richard Stanton wrote:

> Open a file managed by the Mercurial version control system (hg).
>
> When editing files managed by Mercurial, the mode line displays the
> revision number of the file you're editing. Until Emacs 25.3, the
> displayed revision number was the local number (1, 2, 3, ...)., but as
> of 26.1 this behavior has changed, and the mode line now displays the
> (start of) the global revision number. I understand that the local
> number is not permanent, but it's very convenient for quickly checking
> whether you're looking at an up-to-date file (it's obvious that 23 is
> newer than 22, for example), so it would be great if we could get the
> old behavior back (or at least make it an option).

This is now controlled by the variables:
     `vc-hg-symbolic-revision-styles'
     `vc-hg-use-file-version-for-mode-line-version'

To show the local Hg revision number (rather than the changeset hash),
try something like:

    (setq vc-hg-symbolic-revision-styles '("{rev}"))

HTH,

    AndyM