Subject: Re: bug#31742: 26.1.50; excorporate.elc byte-compiled in Emacs 25.x fails in Emacs 26.1

From: Alex Harsanyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 09:31:35 +0800

Hi Thomas,

I was not aware that the soap-client.el in the GNU Emacs source has been
updated -- the maintainers at the time wanted a version that just worked with
debbugs, and put the most recent version in ELPA.

There are two inconsistencies with the current system, which can cause some
confusion:

* the soap-client web page on elpa.gnu.org has a link to the elpa.git
  repository, but there is nothing there (the CGit and Gitweb links):
  http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/soap-client.html

* in the GNU Emacs source code, soap-client.el has a "Homepage" link that
  points back to my GitHub repository, which is now out of date.

I think we need to decide on where to keep the "official" development history
for this package.  As I see it, there are a few options:

* Keep it on GitHub, where it is now.  In this case, I think you should push
  the patch and the 3.1.4 tag there, and the ELPA links need to be fixed.

* Import it into elpa.git, as a separate branch (I see other packages are
  maintained like that).  In this case, the "Homepage" link should be updated
  to point to this source.

* Keep it in the GNU Emacs source tree (this will loose the git history, but
  maybe it is not important).  In this case the, both the "Homepage" link and
  the ELPA web page should be updated.

I have no strong preference for either option, apart for making it easier for
people to know where to go for the package source.  If the GitHub repository
is no longer the latest source code, I can archive it and point to the new
location.

Alex.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Alex Harsanyi <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> I added the comment, bumped the soap-client version to 3.1.4 and pushed
>>> the patch to master so that GNU ELPA will be regenerated tonight.  I
>>> also backported the patch to the emacs-26 branch since it fixes a
>>> functional regression.
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Can you let me know where did you push the soap-client changes?
>>
>> I can see that the package was released at gnu.elpa.org, but the
>> changes were not pushed either to the elpa.git repository at
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git, or to my own copy of
>> it at https://github.com/alex-hhh/emacs-soap-client.
>
> I pushed it to the emacs.git master and emacs-26 branches:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=1feb2e221349f26ec26bc684e0cce2acecbed3ca
>
> GNU ELPA pulls soap-client.el and soap-inspect.el from emacs.git's
> master branch.
>
> Let me know if you also want me to push the patch to
> https://github.com/alex-hhh/emacs-soap-client.
>
> Thomas