Subject: bug#31737: closed (Re: bug#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 07:44:03 +0000

Your bug report

#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31737: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31737
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 00:42:47 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> the patch proposed by Robert was there first,
> and includes a NEWS entry.  So I think that one should go in.

OK, I installed that in the emacs-26 branch and am marking this bug as done.

Subject: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail
From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:23:52 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is based on message <[email-masked]> to [email-masked],
where someone noted that emacs-26 no longer installs movemail,
breaking his Gnus setup [1].

In `mail-source-movemail' in lisp/gnus/mail-source.el, Gnus only looks
in exec-directory for movemail, even though configure looked in PATH
to find mailutils movemail and decide not to install Emacs'
movemail. (rmail doesnʼt have this issue, it does runtime detection)

Gnus should probably look in at least exec-path for movemail (after
exec-directory). One way to do this would be to change the default
value of `mail-source-movemail-program to be' (executable-find
"movemail"), but that has the risk of silently switching emacs to
using mailutils' movemail instead of the emacs one.

Also, mailutils' movemail has a '--emacs' flag which rmail uses. Itʼs not
immediately obvious to me if gnus should do the same or not.

Robert

Footnotes: 
[1]  I guess people no longer use movemail that much, otherwise this
would have been noticed sooner