Subject: Re: bug#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:47:47 +0100

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

    Robert> This is based on message <[email-masked]> to
    Robert> [email-masked], where someone noted that emacs-26 no longer
    Robert> installs movemail, breaking his Gnus setup [1].

    Robert> In `mail-source-movemail' in lisp/gnus/mail-source.el, Gnus
    Robert> only looks in exec-directory for movemail, even though
    Robert> configure looked in PATH to find mailutils movemail and
    Robert> decide not to install Emacs' movemail. (rmail doesnʼt have
    Robert> this issue, it does runtime detection)

    Robert> Gnus should probably look in at least exec-path for movemail
    Robert> (after exec-directory). One way to do this would be to
    Robert> change the default value of `mail-source-movemail-program to
    Robert> be' (executable-find "movemail"), but that has the risk of
    Robert> silently switching emacs to using mailutils' movemail
    Robert> instead of the emacs one.

    Robert> Also, mailutils' movemail has a '--emacs' flag which rmail
    Robert> uses. Itʼs not immediately obvious to me if gnus should do
    Robert> the same or not.

I don't know whether my input will be relevant, but here goes.

I use gnus and have had no trouble with movemail. In emacs-26.1 I
compiled using ./configure --with-mailutils and in my ~/.emacs I point
the mail-source-movemail-program to "/usr/bin/movemail". Everything
works fine.

Best wishes