Subject: Re: bug#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:08:53 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> As to whether Gnus should also use that option -- I think it should,
>> because the code in mail-source.el which invokes movemail is an almost
>> exact copy of its sibling in rmail.el.  It's quite possible that Gnus
>> simply uses some old version of what's in Rmail.  (In particular,
>> rmail.el already does what I suggested to do in order to invoke
>> movemail from mailutils in preference to the version which comes with
>> Emacs.)
>>
>> So I'm CC'ing Lars in the hope that he will decide what to do with
>> these two issues.
>
> I don't think that mail-source needs that --emacs switch -- it never
> has, I think? But from what you say, it probably doesn't hurt...

mail-source will only ever have used Mailutils movemail for those
people who had it installed *and* were aware that
mail-source-movemail-program needed specifying, so I suspect the
sample weʼre talking about is small.

Eli, were you thinking that mail-source should duplicate the movemail
detection logic in rmail? Or should it just assume Mailutils movemail
and pass '--emacs'?

Robert