Subject: bug#31737: 26.1.50; Gnus does not use mailutils movemail

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 18:33:34 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 21:55:20 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > I use gnus and have had no trouble with movemail. In emacs-26.1 I
> > compiled using ./configure --with-mailutils and in my ~/.emacs I point
> > the mail-source-movemail-program to "/usr/bin/movemail". Everything
> > works fine.
> 
> So it looks like the --emacs flag is not necessary, which means we
> could just change the default of mail-source-movemail-progam. [1]

Sorry, I don't think I follow: mail-source-movemail-progam is a
variable in Gnus, and its default is nil.

And I don't see how you concluded that the --emacs flag is
unnecessary: the Mailutils manual says it causes movemail to "output
information used by Emacs rmail interface", i.e. this is unrelated to
Gnus.

> Footnotes: 
> [1]  Eli, 26.2? This is an emacs-26 regression

What exactly was the regression, and which change do you propose for
the branch?

Thanks.