Subject: Re: bug#31731: 26.1; tramp-file-name-handler: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 10:34:18 +0200

Marc Girod <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Marc,

> I installed tramp from a clone of the git repo:
> ./configure --with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs --with-lispdir=/Library/Application/emacs/site-lisp --with-contrib

"--with-contrib" isn't supported for a long time. Furthermore, you need
to run "make" (or "make -C lisp", at least).

Could you pls check which Tramp version is installed? You see it in
tramp-version.el.

> Restarted emacs, attempted to access a remote directory:
>
> /marcgirod-wsl5:

This is not a remote file name anymore. Since Emacs 26, you must
specifiy the method, like "/ssh:/marcgirod-wsl5:". Read etc/NEWS.

> I notice the 'hidings' below, and I'll investigate them, but without my
> addition to load-path, tramp was not found -- at least not invoked for
> the above mentioned remote access.

If *that* file name is recognized as a remote file name, you have
installed an older Tramp version than the one integrated into Emacs. I
do not recommend it, and I don't believe it is worth to investigate. Pls
remove that Tramp installation, and use a proper remote file name.

> Thanks,
> Marc

Best regards, Michael.