Subject: bug#31719: Chains of dependencies getting longer

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 18:22:24 +0200

Hello Carlo,

Am Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 07:38:11PM +1000 schrieb Carlo Zancanaro:
> On Sat, Apr 17 2021, Carlo Zancanaro wrote:
> > I'm in the process of rebuilding Java from icedtea-8 upwards to check,
> 
> I've now built and checked the JRE/JDKs from 10 to 14, and none of them
> retain a reference to any other JRE/JDK according to "guix gc --references".

thanks a lot for your patch! I am not very knowledgeable on this matter, but
after updating my system am right now once again bitten by the problem:
The following derivations would be built:
   /gnu/store/0bxpgqps79007jky37dwzgm08wlsgj02-openjdk-10.46.drv
   /gnu/store/2xwsm2plrbk7l4510hrqp9y7b5vv9v5j-module-import-compiled.drv
1683.5 MB would be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/0gzv5208m2prqbnsqdffcnz7mwfqa684-openjdk-10.46.tar.xz
   /gnu/store/5g6ng9a2ifgrv57mzdaysf2lq9rkixxk-make-4.2.1
   /gnu/store/243algr6h60j46spn5dqhjc4mhkd0a0p-libelf-0.8.13
   /gnu/store/crc4cgsdls10isy8prjdddvsp21wafx6-openjdk-9.181-jdk
   /gnu/store/6amc3php7qyqxagak5xnmv2k81wm7w26-openjdk-9.181
   /gnu/store/bms6jg5qwn927qmbh9xi30ifhsxxdazq-openjdk-11.28-jdk
   /gnu/store/lylv6ng5gwqpi930c6y7sglh2k8byjn6-openjdk-11.28
   /gnu/store/z27mhqpylrbmwkcgrb100p6jbflxhq5h-openjdk-12.33-jdk
   /gnu/store/xz500ry11dihwn9kij1kmzkci1lmnqjf-openjdk-13.0-jdk
   /gnu/store/a1s66hlj10nkkcxlk6s2dzq4iip4mh4k-openjdk-14.0-doc
   /gnu/store/cyssia0a5lh8mb5czd7155y7sl31aryl-openjdk-14.0-jdk
   /gnu/store/630lvja8vak1bkf9vsbbh29cp79j4pwp-openjdk-14.0
guix build: warning: at least 5922.4 MB needed but only 3539.4 MB available in /gnu/store

So I would have to download lots of openjdk and even build one in the middle
of the chain myself.

So unless someone else objects, I intend to apply the patch, build the
latest openjdk, and push it if everything goes well.

Notice that the original problem reported by Ricardo seems to have been
fixed independently - "guix build icedtea" only downloads icedtea@3, and
not @2 on current master.

Thanks,

Andreas