Subject: bug#31709: 27.0.50; Wishlist: Perhaps Emacs should load a file when getting a particular signal?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 15:31:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It would be really nice if I could just ssh to the machine where the
>> Emacs is running, do "kill -USR1 <pid>" and then ... Emacs could do
>> something.  Like load "~/.emacs.d/load-file-USR1" or something.  Or just
>> start emacs-server.  
>
> The node "Misc Events" in the ELisp manual explains how you can bind
> commands to 'sigusr1' and 'sigusr2' pseudo-function keys.  Isn't that
> what you want?

Like I said, if I knew that this was something that I was going to want,
then I would have had it already.

What I'm proposing here is that Emacs should have this functionality by
default, so that anybody can use it when they discover that they need
it.

When they discover the need, it's too late to switch it on, because you
can't talk to an Emacs remotely by default, if you get my drift.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no