Subject: bug#31709: 27.0.50; Wishlist: Perhaps Emacs should load a file when getting a particular signal?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 13:29:44 +0200

Once again I find myself in the situation that I've started an Emacs at
home without an Emacs server socket, and I know there's something in a
buffer there that I want to get a hold of.  But I'm at work, and there's
no way to make Emacs start a server remotely.

It would be really nice if I could just ssh to the machine where the
Emacs is running, do "kill -USR1 <pid>" and then ... Emacs could do
something.  Like load "~/.emacs.d/load-file-USR1" or something.  Or just
start emacs-server.  

There are security implications, of course...  But does this seem like
something useful?

Writing a package that does this is easy, of course, but if you know
that this is something you need, then you'd already have started the
Emacs server anyway.  So it would have to be something that's available
in Emacs by default, because you only need it if you didn't know that
you were going to need it.  :-)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 22, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2018-05-31 built on stories
Repository revision: c0a0351249c1e6a9307224d8337ff8916f4cf138
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no