Subject: bug#31706: Emacs 26.1 unable to visit files in vc-git buffer's links after vc-pull

From: Van L <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 13:43:56 +1000

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> 
> Could be some problem specific to your platform (which is what, btw?).

GNU Emacs 26.1 
NS port macos

"GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G19009))
 of 2018-06-02"

> Try "M-x describe-text-properties RET" with point on one of the links.

In the example below, 
I invoked `emacs -Q`, 
then vc-pull, 
in the vc-git buffer, 
I leave point on the O in etc/HISTORY link, 
and `M-x describe-text-properties RET` produces the following result:

— result
Text content at position 1812:

There are text properties here:
  compilation-message  [Show]
  font-lock-face       (compilation-info underline)
  fontified            t
  help-echo            "mouse-2: visit this file"
  keymap               compilation-button-map
  mouse-face           highlight

— end result

The hover over the link label shows ,mouse-1: visit this file,

(On right-handed mouse) left or middle mouse button click on 
the O in etc/HISTORY link 
causes the macos Finder file manager to present window for choosing a file to open.

Expected, desired behavior is for Emacs 26.1 to visit file in new buffer.

— example

Running "git pull"...
From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
   58d0642e1c..1dafa4a02e  master     -> origin/master
   b8e7749b33..55c9bb9f3c  emacs-26   -> origin/emacs-26
 * [new branch]            scratch/np/backports-26.2 -> origin/scratch/np/backports-26.2
 * [new branch]            scratch/support-plists-in-jsonc-autodetect -> origin/scratch/support-plists-in-jsonc-autodetect
Updating cc130d13d4..1dafa4a02e
Fast-forward
 ChangeLog.3                            | 525 +++++++++++++++++-
 admin/authors.el                       |   2 +-
 admin/notes/multi-tty                  |   2 +-
 configure.ac                           |   9 +-
 doc/emacs/files.texi                   |   9 +-
 doc/emacs/macos.texi                   |   4 +-
 doc/emacs/misc.texi                    |   2 +-
 doc/emacs/msdos.texi                   |   2 +-
 doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi    | 124 +++--
 doc/lispref/buffers.texi               |  22 +-
 doc/lispref/control.texi               | 967 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 doc/lispref/display.texi               |   2 +-
 doc/lispref/elisp.texi                 |   5 +-
 doc/lispref/errors.texi                |   2 +-
 doc/lispref/files.texi                 |  18 +-
 doc/lispref/searching.texi             |   2 +
 doc/lispref/streams.texi               |  15 +
 doc/lispref/syntax.texi                |  12 +-
 doc/lispref/text.texi                  |   7 +-
 doc/misc/autotype.texi                 |   2 +-
 doc/misc/emacs-mime.texi               |   2 +-
 doc/misc/org.texi                      |   4 +-
 doc/misc/tramp.texi                    | 187 +++++--
 doc/misc/viper.texi                    |   2 +-
 doc/misc/wisent.texi                   |   2 +-
 etc/AUTHORS                            | 141 +++--
 etc/HELLO                              |  15 +-
 etc/HISTORY                            |   2 +
 etc/NEWS                               |  29 +
 etc/NEWS.26                            |  45 ++
 etc/PROBLEMS                           |  12 +-
 lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el             |   8 +-
 lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-print.el            | 115 ++--
 lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio.el               |   8 +-
 lisp/emacs-lisp/pcase.el               | 143 ++---
 lisp/emacs-lisp/radix-tree.el          |   2 +
 lisp/emacs-lisp/rmc.el                 |  18 +-
 lisp/emacs-lisp/rx.el                  |  20 +-
 lisp/epa-file.el                       |   2 -
 lisp/epa-mail.el                       |   4 +-
 lisp/epa.el                            |  57 +-
 lisp/epg-config.el                     |  29 +-
 lisp/epg.el                            | 120 +---
 lisp/files.el                          | 227 ++++----
 lisp/frame.el                          |   3 +
 lisp/gnus/message.el                   |   4 +-
 lisp/help.el                           |   4 +-
 lisp/hexl.el                           |  14 +-
 lisp/image.el                          |   1 +
 lisp/ldefs-boot.el                     | 135 +++--
 lisp/net/tramp-adb.el                  |   9 +-
 lisp/net/tramp-cache.el                |   6 +-
 lisp/net/tramp-gvfs.el                 |  48 +-
 lisp/net/tramp-sh.el                   |  50 +-
 lisp/net/tramp-smb.el                  |  24 +-
 lisp/net/tramp.el                      | 145 ++---
 lisp/newcomment.el                     |   5 +-
 lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el              |  41 +-
 lisp/progmodes/flymake-cc.el           | 140 +++++
 lisp/progmodes/gud.el                  |   7 +-
 lisp/progmodes/sql.el                  | 272 +++++++---
 lisp/replace.el                        |   7 +-
 lisp/subr.el                           |   7 +-
 lisp/term.el                           |  68 ++-
 lisp/term/ns-win.el                    |   4 +
 lisp/textmodes/bibtex.el               |  41 +-
 lisp/textmodes/css-mode.el             |  66 ++-
 src/.gdbinit                           |   2 +-
 src/Makefile.in                        |   5 +
 src/dired.c                            |   9 +-
 src/emacs.c                            |   2 +-
 src/filelock.c                         |   5 +-
 src/gtkutil.c                          |   4 +-
 src/image.c                            |   2 +-
 src/nsterm.m                           |  30 +-
 src/print.c                            |  11 +-
 src/search.c                           |   5 +-
 src/w32.c                              | 291 ++++++++++
 src/w32.h                              |   2 +
 src/w32fns.c                           |  81 +++
 src/xdisp.c                            |   7 +-
 src/xterm.c                            |  12 +-
 test/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-print-tests.el |  25 +
 test/lisp/files-tests.el               | 489 ++++++++++++++---
 test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el           |  21 +-
 test/lisp/replace-tests.el             | 119 ++--
 test/lisp/term-tests.el                |   7 +
 test/lisp/textmodes/css-mode-tests.el  |  15 +-
 test/src/print-tests.el                |  36 ++
 89 files changed, 3858 insertions(+), 1350 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 lisp/progmodes/flymake-cc.el

— end example