Subject: bug#31694: closed (Re: bug#31694: man page copyright notice)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 16:00:05 +0000

Your bug report

#31694: man page copyright notice

which was filed against the sed package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31694: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31694
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31694: man page copyright notice
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: bill-auger <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 10:59:12 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 31694 notabug
thanks

On 06/02/2018 05:43 PM, bill-auger wrote:
> i noticed the copyright in the sed man page has "Copyright ©2017 Free
> Software Foundation, Inc."
> 
> according to GNU policy[1] it should list each year that some
> modification was made

Actually, GNU policy is that _source_ files should list years that a 
modification was made (either to that file alone, or a range of years 
that any file in the project was modified even if that particular file 
was not otherwise modified; the range option being a lot easier to 
produce).

But if you go on to the end of the section, it says that for --help 
output (which in turn feeds the man page):

"Sometimes a program has an overall copyright notice that refers to the 
whole program. It might be in the README file, or it might be displayed 
when the program starts up. This copyright notice should mention the 
year of completion of the most recent major version; it can mention 
years of completion of previous major versions, but that is optional."

Thus, there is no reason for the man page output to list all years; it 
is sufficient (and compliant with GNU Coding Standards) to list only the 
year of the current release.

> [1]: https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html
> 

As such, I'm closing this as not a bug.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org

Subject: man page copyright notice
From: bill-auger <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 18:43:15 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

i noticed the copyright in the sed man page has "Copyright ©2017 Free
Software Foundation, Inc."

according to GNU policy[1] it should list each year that some
modification was made

> "Don’t delete old year numbers, though; they are significant since
they indicate when older versions might theoretically go into the public
domain, if the movie companies don’t continue buying laws to further
extend copyright. If you copy a file into the package from some other
program, keep the copyright years that come with the file.
> You can use a range (‘2008-2010’) instead of listing individual years
(‘2008, 2009, 2010’) if and only if: 1) every year in the range,
inclusive, really is a “copyrightable” year that would be listed
individually; and 2) you make an explicit statement in a README file
about this usage."

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html