Subject: bug#31691: 25.3; Emacs fails browsing remote files over FTP

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:31:37 -0400

Hi Robert,

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> Are you bound to the ftp method? There are other possibilities to
>>> connect to Android via Tramp. First, you could try the "adb" method, it
>>> uses the Android Debug Bridge. Disadvantage is, that you need an USB
>>> connection. Read the Tramp manual for details.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing me to this way. I have a functional adb working, so
>> minus the hassle of a cable, this is a neat alternative that I'll try
>> shortly.
>
> You can connect to the adb service over tcp once you've started it on
> your target device, so you only need the cable at the beginning.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

>>> Somebody has also used an sshd daemon on an Android device, accessing it
>>> via Tramp with "ssh" or friends, The setup is described in the Tramp
>>> manual, chapter "4.17 Android shell setup hints".
>>
>> While SSH would be much better than FTP, I couldn't find a way to
>> install an SSH server on my non-rooted phone :/.
>
> What's a non-rooted phone? ;-)

A phone on which you cannot alter the protected parts of the filesystem;
it's akin to not having 'sudo' on a GNU/Linux distro. All Android phones
come this way; some can easily be rooted if the bootloader can be unlocked,
but not all Android phones have this decency.

Maxim