Subject: [bug#31689] [PATCH staging] gnu: mesa: Update to 18.1.1.

From: Rutger Helling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 07:17:54 +0200

I think it has something to do with shader compilation. It kept
segfaulting for me when I tried to start a program that seemed to use
OpenGL. This included me being unable to start SDDM/GNOME (all I got
was a black screen).

Oddly enough, programs that use Vulkan instead seemed fine.

I figured out after closing this patch that if I use another
experimental way of compiling shaders, by setting the environment
variable "R600_DEBUG=nir" it no longer crashes for me.

If it works for you after reconfiguring your entire system you can push
it to staging if you want. I'll just set the environment variable
globally then since I don't wanna hold up this Mesa upgrade.

On a side note, GNOME on Wayland's menus were broken for me starting
with Mesa 18.0+, where the menus wouldn't respond at all. Don't know if
that's still the case. If it is GNOME will probably have to be
upgraded at some point.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 01:47:08 +0200
Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Rutger Helling <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm withdrawing this patch for now. I keep getting segfaults with
> > Mesa 18.1.1.  
> 
> Under which circumstances did you get a segfault?
> 
> I'm currently running IceCat using this Mesa and will reconfigure my
> system to test it further, but so far so good here.