Subject: Re: bug#31655: no obvious link to the Lisp Reference Manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:14:06 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Van L <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 04:57:31 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>   https://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html
> >> 
> >> Command-F followed by ,lisp ref, results in 
> >> 
> >>   Phrase not found
> >
> > Try "elisp" instead, and Bob's your uncle.
> 
> The request here is to have a separate link to the Emacs Lisp
> Reference Manual from that page.  I think that request makes sense; in
> any case it definitely can't hurt.

My point was that there is such a link already there.  Search for
"elisp", and you will find it.  The OP searched for "lisp ref" for
some reason, and that substring is not present on the page.
Personally, I don't understand the motivation behind that search
string, but that's me.

> Does anyone else have an opinion here?  Otherwise, I'll go ahead and
> contact [email-masked] to see if they can help add that.

If we are going to add more links to the ELisp manuals (or Emacs
manuals in general), we might as well first come up with a list of
strings people might use while searching that page, because adding
just one random string might not be good enough for the next bug
report.