Subject: bug#31653: 26.1; comint-scroll-show-maximum-output nil regression

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 03:56:47 -0400

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> It's a deliberate change, by popular demand: shell-mode now sets
> scroll-conservatively to a large value locally in shell buffers.  Reset
> that in your mode hook, and Bob's your uncle.

That's very helpful, thank you!

> If you are interested in the reasons for the change, see the log
> message of commit d7ac7b15ca9, it points to the relevant discussion.

Thanks for the pointer.  I acknowledge that I'm in the minority here,
but I greatly prefer less frequent scrolling, so that I have more time
to visually process the text before it moves and disrupts my ability to
process it.

Ideally, both settings of 'comint-scroll-show-maximum-output' would
behave as expected, without mode hooks.

That said, I don't have time to work on this myself, and it's certainly
of very little importance.  The mode hook workaround is good enough for
me, and I guess there are very few people with my preferences, so I'm
willing to let this go.  Feel free to close this bug as "wontfix", or to
keep it open, as you prefer.

Thanks again,

     Mark