Subject: bug#31648: closed (Re: bug#31648: 26; (elisp) `Indirect Buffers': `clone-indirect-buffer')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31648: 26; (elisp) `Indirect Buffers': `clone-indirect-buffer'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31648: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31648
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31648: 26; (elisp) `Indirect Buffers': `clone-indirect-buffer'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 14:19:07 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 15:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> The doc of `clone-indirect-buffer' is incorrect.  It implies that the
> new, indirect buffer, is not displayed when the command is invoked
> interactively.
> 
> The doc string is correct.  Please correct the manual similarly.  The
> statement of the second sentence here, from the doc string is missing
> from the manual:
> 
>  DISPLAY-FLAG non-nil means show the new buffer with 'pop-to-buffer'.
>  This is always done when called interactively.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I added a note about DISPLAY-FLAG in interactive calls, but in general
you shouldn't expect this to be spelled out in the ELisp manual,
because interactive invocation of commands is described in the Emacs
manual, and the ELisp manual is biased towards non-interactive uses.

> (One might wonder why non-nil, instead of nil, was chosen to show the
> buffer, since that's the default interactive behavior - but it's too
> late now.)

??? It's the default interactively, but not in non-interactive calls.
It should be clear that non-interactive calls don't necessarily want
to display the cloned buffer.

Subject: 26; (elisp) `Indirect Buffers': `clone-indirect-buffer'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 15:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc of `clone-indirect-buffer' is incorrect.  It implies that the
new, indirect buffer, is not displayed when the command is invoked
interactively.

The doc string is correct.  Please correct the manual similarly.  The
statement of the second sentence here, from the doc string is missing
from the manual:

 DISPLAY-FLAG non-nil means show the new buffer with 'pop-to-buffer'.
 This is always done when called interactively.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(One might wonder why non-nil, instead of nil, was chosen to show the
buffer, since that's the default interactive behavior - but it's too
late now.)

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-04-10
Repository revision: c267421647510319d2a70554e42f0d1c394dba0a
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''