Subject: bug#31626: Emacs window resizes when entering dired mode

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 19:16:01 +0200

Alain Knaff <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2018-05-28 18:39, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> Alain Knaff <[email-masked]> writes:
> [...]
>>> If it's inside GTK, then why are only dired buffers affected? For
>>> instance, a buffer containing a Java file or something else is not affected.
>> 
>> The error message you quoted happens when creating menus, and those
>> menus are mode-specific, so different for java and dired.
>
> A yes, now indeed I see it... dired has more items in its main menu, and
> it tries to fit them all into one line...
>
> ... maybe then one workaround would be to use a smaller font for the
> menu. But how does one do that? I tried putting the following into my
> ~/.Xdefaults, but it did nothing :-(
>
> Emacs*menubar*Font: 		-*-*-bold-r-*-*-*-80-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*

If your emacs is compiled to use GTK, then it uses GTK resources to
specify the appearance of the menus. The info node 'GTK resources'
in the emacs user manual describes how they're used.

Regards

Robert