Subject: bug#31626: Emacs window resizes when entering dired mode

From: Alain Knaff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:59:29 +0000

On 2018-05-28 18:39, Robert Pluim wrote:
> Alain Knaff <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
>> If it's inside GTK, then why are only dired buffers affected? For
>> instance, a buffer containing a Java file or something else is not affected.
> 
> The error message you quoted happens when creating menus, and those
> menus are mode-specific, so different for java and dired.

A yes, now indeed I see it... dired has more items in its main menu, and
it tries to fit them all into one line...

... maybe then one workaround would be to use a smaller font for the
menu. But how does one do that? I tried putting the following into my
~/.Xdefaults, but it did nothing :-(

Emacs*menubar*Font: 		-*-*-bold-r-*-*-*-80-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*

> 
>> So I guess emacs is calling a certain gtk function when a dired buffer
>> is active, that it does not call for other buffers. Which call could
>> that be? Initiative *must* come from somewhere inside emacs, or else
>> emacs-specific actions such as pressing C-x o would not be able to
>> trigger it.
>>
> 
> Yes, but unfortunately itʼs not that simple, else we would have fixed
> it already :-)

Yeah, that's also why I was so puzzled how it could even make it into a
released version :-)

[...]
> OK. Please let us know how it goes.

No problem :-)

-- 
Alain Knaff
Ingénieur Informaticien

LE GOUVERNEMENT DU GRAND-DUCHÉ DE LUXEMBOURG
Ministère du Développement durable et des Infrastructures
Administration de l’environnement

1, avenue du Rock'n'Roll . L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette
Tél. (+352) 40 56 56-309
E-Mail: [email-masked]
www.gouvernement.lu . www.luxembourg.lu