Subject: Re: bug#31626: Emacs window resizes when entering dired mode

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:11:23 +0200

Alain Knaff <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There have been some scaling related fixes in the just-released
>> emacs-26, would it be possible for you to try that version?
>
> Is there a repository where I can easily get that version from into
> Ubuntu? Or else, is there a way to disable this "scaling" in dired mode?
> Apparently it seems that this is something specific that dired "does",
> for whatever reason, as it happens in no other circumstance.

The scaling is not dired-specific, itʼs inside GTK, so thereʼs nothing
you can do to dired to change it.

Emacs-26 was released about 2 hours ago, so I doubt anyone's packaged it yet.
Iʼve attached the announcement, perhaps you can build emacs from source?

Regards

Robert

Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:14:22 +0200
Date: 1 hour, 56 minutes, 48 seconds ago
From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs Devel <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.announce
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
Keywords: emacs-announce

[[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
[1. text/plain]
Hi!

Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.

For more information on Emacs, see:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs

You can retrieve the source from your nearest GNU mirror by using one
of the following links:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz

You can get the PGP signatures at
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz.sig
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz.sig

You can choose a mirror explicitly from the list at:
  http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html

Mirrors may take some time to update; the main GNU ftp server is at:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

Highlights of this release include:

  - Limited form of concurrency with Lisp threads
  
  - Support for optional display of line numbers in the buffer
  
  - Emacs now uses double buffering to reduce flicker on the X Window
    System
  
  - Flymake has been completely redesigned
  
  - TRAMP has a new connection method for Google Drive
  
  - New single-line horizontal scrolling mode
  
  - A systemd user unit file is provided
  
  - Support for 24-bit colors on capable text terminals

There are many more changes; for a summary see the etc/NEWS file,
which you can view from Emacs with `C-h n'.

For the complete list of changes and the people who made them, see the
various ChangeLog files in the source distribution.  For a summary
of all the people who have contributed to Emacs, see the etc/AUTHORS
file.

Printed copies of the Emacs manual are available for purchase from the
Free Software Foundation's online store at:
http://shop.fsf.org/product/emacs-manual/

Regards,
Nico

[[End of PGP Signed Part]]