Subject: Re: bug#31626: Emacs window resizes when entering dired mode

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 17:54:22 +0200

Alain Knaff <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2018-05-28 15:02, Alain Knaff wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 
>> Whenever I enter dired mode, the emacs window resizes itself. This is
>> undesirable, as windows that jump around interrupt the flow of work.
>> 
>> It happens with Gnu Emacs 25.2.2 as included on Ubuntu 18.04
>> 
>> It did not happen with the version included with Ubuntu 16.04
>> 
>> Thanks for fixing this,>
>
> I noticed that when this happens, the following is printed to stdout:
> gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed
>
> The same is also printed when manually making the window narrower again,
> or changing its width in any way while it is narrower than the width
> dired wants.

My crystal ball says youʼre using a HiDpi display, and you have menus
enabled. Setting the environment variable GDK_SCALE to 1 before
running emacs might help.

There have been some scaling related fixes in the just-released
emacs-26, would it be possible for you to try that version?

Regards

Robert