Subject: 27.0; (elisp) `Syntax Flags'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 07:47:09 -0700 (PDT)

Something seems to be missing. This node refers to "a" style, but that
seems to be defined nowhere.  The node defines "comment style" this way:

  A comment style is a set of flags 'b', 'c', and 'n', ...

No mention of style "a" there.  What is style "a"?  I don't see it
specified anywhere.

Presumably style "a" is some set composed of the flags 'b', 'c', and
'n', but what set?

And what about the relation between those "flags" and the "styles"?  If
a flag is an element in a set that is a style, why does the doc use
chars b and c to name both flags and styles - that just confuses things.
If you want to relate style "b" to flag 'b' then maybe use "B", not "b",
as the style name.

(Yes, I realize that this text is very old - at least as old as Emacs
20.  But it seems like it could/should be clearer.)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-03-21
Repository revision: e70d0c9e66d7a8609450b2889869d16aeb0363b5
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install -C 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''