Subject: bug#31624: closed (Re: bug#31624: 27.0; (elisp) `Syntax Flags')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 11:04:03 +0000

Your bug report

#31624: 27.0; (elisp) `Syntax Flags'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31624: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31624
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31624: 27.0; (elisp) `Syntax Flags'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 14:03:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: 28 May 2018 21:39:44 -0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> > Something seems to be missing. This node refers to "a" style, but that
> > seems to be defined nowhere.  The node defines "comment style" this way:
> 
> >   A comment style is a set of flags 'b', 'c', and 'n', ...
> 
> > No mention of style "a" there.  What is style "a"?  I don't see it
> > specified anywhere.
> 
> > Presumably style "a" is some set composed of the flags 'b', 'c', and
> > 'n', but what set?
> 
> When neither flag 'b' nor flag 'c' is set, you have style "a".  

I added that to the text.

> > And what about the relation between those "flags" and the "styles"?
> 
> When 'b' is set, you have style "b", when 'c' is set, you have style
> "c".  I think having both of them set is undefined (but it does leave
> room for a style "d" (shudder!)).

I added a sentence that explains how styles and flags are related.

Thanks.

Subject: 27.0; (elisp) `Syntax Flags'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 07:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Something seems to be missing. This node refers to "a" style, but that
seems to be defined nowhere.  The node defines "comment style" this way:

  A comment style is a set of flags 'b', 'c', and 'n', ...

No mention of style "a" there.  What is style "a"?  I don't see it
specified anywhere.

Presumably style "a" is some set composed of the flags 'b', 'c', and
'n', but what set?

And what about the relation between those "flags" and the "styles"?  If
a flag is an element in a set that is a style, why does the doc use
chars b and c to name both flags and styles - that just confuses things.
If you want to relate style "b" to flag 'b' then maybe use "B", not "b",
as the style name.

(Yes, I realize that this text is very old - at least as old as Emacs
20.  But it seems like it could/should be clearer.)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-03-21
Repository revision: e70d0c9e66d7a8609450b2889869d16aeb0363b5
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install -C 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''