Subject: bug#31605: 25.3; tramp-terminal-type too obscure

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 13:57:07 -0400

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Eli,

> > I'm not talking about a remote shell, just the general running of a
> > subshell inside Emacs.  If *that* is not a popular thing to do then
> > I'm apparently living in a bubble...

> No, you aren't. There are many Tramp users running a remote shell in
> Emacs. But this is not the majority of Tramp users ...

:)  (It's a bit more: in my case it affects local shells also because I
sync the same environment setup on all machines...)

> I do not want to write an example which does not use the
> default. People tend to copy example lines, [...]

That's a good point.

> As compromise, I have rephrased the manual:

> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>            When using zsh on remote hosts, disable zsh line editor
>            because zsh uses left-hand side and right-hand side prompts
>            in parallel.  Add the following line to ‘~/.zshrc’:

>                 [[ $TERM == "dumb" ]] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ ' && return

>            This uses the default value of ‘tramp-terminal-type’,
>            ‘"dumb"’, as value of the ‘TERM’ environment variable.  If
>            you want to use another value for ‘TERM’, change
>            ‘tramp-terminal-type’ accordingly.
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks!  Minor tweak:

     If you want to use another value for ‘TERM’, change
     ‘tramp-terminal-type’ and this line accordingly.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, maybe a parenthetical comment along the lines of

     (This can be useful to keep your usual prompt in, e.g., `M-x shell'.)

?

But just mentioning it is the main thing, so whatever you think is best.

-- 
                    ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                  Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                  Maze is Life!