Subject: Re: bug#31597: 27.0.50; Annoying ' to ’ translation

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 17:12:17 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 19:04:02 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: 27 May 2018 09:32:15 -0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]

> > The person behind the change, Paul Eggert, simply pushed it through
> > without first securing agreement from Emacs as a whole, and had the
> > political skills to prevent a consensus on the matter prevailing.

> This misrepresents what Paul did and say, and I think is grossly
> unfair to him.

This was a highly controversial change.  Paul could first have committed
the changes on a branch and invited comment.  This is, for example, what
you did recently when implementing visible line numbers in buffers.  It
is a correct and considerate way of working.  Paul did not do this.  He
blasted his changes directly onto master.  Some of these changes were
outrageous, such as forcing the replacement of quotes by curly quotes
without the user having an option to disable this replacement.

You weren't really involved in the fight against this.  I was, and it
exhausted me.

> I wish we avoided such ad-hominem attacks, just because we disagree.

Eli, my view of things is NOT an ad-hominem.  An ad-hominem is when one
argues by attacking a _person_.  My paragraph above does not do this: it
criticizes Paul's _actions_.  I think it is a fair summary of what
actually happened.

And I think it is pertinent to the message of my message, namely that
this attribute of Emacs which so annoys Helmut is not going to get
fixed.  Ever.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).