Subject: bug#31597: 27.0.50; Annoying ' to ’ translation

From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 22:46:25 +0200

Executing this command:

 emacs -Q -batch -eval "(error \"can't parse input\")"

prints

 can’t parse input

I would expect to see "can't parse input" instead.

Had I wanted to see a "can’t parse input" in the output, I would have
written "can’t parse input" in the source.  Emacs should not do this
translation by default; this new behavior is a misfeature.

It's extremely annoying that the behavior of such basic functions as
error and message has changed so drastically from previous Emacs
versions.  People who like this automagic translation should be forced
to customize text-quoting-style not the people who want the traditional
and much more predictable behavior.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2018-05-07 built on caladan
Repository revision: 6e362a32bc9d21f73a0f29ca6f45481edeea6f29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Configured using:
 'configure --with-xpm=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --with-jpeg=no
 --without-pop'

Configured features:
PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix