Subject: 25.1; malformed email address in RMAIL

From: Olivier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 10:54:14 +0700

Hi,

When trying to read the new messages in RMAIL, I get the error
"Malformed email address" on one message (it did happen in the past,
once every 2 years maybe). As a consequence, messages following the
malformed one cannot be read and no message is deleted from the INBOX,
resulting in reading the same messages over and over again.

This time I managed to identify and keep a copy of the
concerned message.

I am reading my mail through POP3, with movemail installed as part of
mailutils-3.1.1_3.

Emacs installation is pretty standard, build from FreeBSD ports.

Trying to read the same message with Thunderbird (POP3 and IMAP) did not
give any error message.

I have been using Emacs for over 30 years and I have always been
completely happy with it, but that bug bugs me.

Attached is a copy of the message.

Best regards,

Olivier

---------------------------

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.3, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2017-03-07 built on banyan.cs.ait.ac.th
Windowing system distributor 'StarNet Communications Corp.', version 11.0.8100
Configured using:
 'configure --localstatedir=/var --with-gameuser=games:games
 --disable-acl --without-canna --with-dbus --with-gnutls --with-modules
 --with-x --with-xml2 --with-file-notification=kqueue --with-sound=oss
 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-cairo --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-imagemagick --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-gconf --without-gsettings --with-m17n-flt --with-libotf
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-xft --with-xim --without-xwidgets
 --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib --x-includes=/usr/local/include
 --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-silent-rules
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.3 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 -fno-strict-aliasing' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS= -fstack-protector''

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
LUCID X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: RMAIL Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done
Getting mail from the remote server ...
movemail: cannot append message 1: Malformed email address
(No new mail has arrived)
Computing summary lines...done
0 new messages read
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug thai-util thai-word nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit sort thingatpt mail-extr
warnings misearch multi-isearch shr-color color url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars shr seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv dom subr-x browse-url qp rmailsum
rmailmm message idna sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 221608 18023)
 (symbols 48 35501 0)
 (miscs 40 1219 1822)
 (strings 32 41659 5678)
 (string-bytes 1 1109439)
 (vectors 16 18863)
 (vector-slots 8 551619 12631)
 (floats 8 408 491)
 (intervals 56 3225 748)
 (buffers 976 27))

--