Subject: bug#31590: closed (Re: bug#31590: 25.1; malformed email address in RMAIL)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 08:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31590: 25.1; malformed email address in RMAIL

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31590: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31590
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31590: 25.1; malformed email address in RMAIL
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Olivier Nicole <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 11:51:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[Please keep the bug address on the CC line.]

> From: Olivier Nicole <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 15:39:08 +0700
> 
> It is not in mbox format because my sever uses maildir, but it is the
> exact file that would be queried by movemail from the POP server and
> happened to ~/RMAIL.

Well, then I'm afraid I don't see why movemail complained about an
invalid address.

> > From your bug report, I see that the "Malformed email address"
> > message comes from the movemail program, not from Emacs.  I don't
> > find such a message in the version of movemail we distribute with
> > Emacs, and since you say you have Mailutils installed, I guess you
> > should report this problem to the Mailutils developers.
> 
> Thank you, I will do so. I don't remember why I installed movemail
> from Mailutils, but there must have been an excellent reason. :)

Probably because Mailutils support secure POP3 connections, something
our version doesn't.  So you did right when you installed Mailutils.

However, the current version of Mailutils is 3.4, so maybe try
upgrading and see if the issue is already fixed.

> Thank you for looking at the problem.

I'm closing this bug report for now.  Feel free to reopen if the
problem turns out to be in Emacs after all.

Subject: 25.1; malformed email address in RMAIL
From: Olivier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 10:54:14 +0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

When trying to read the new messages in RMAIL, I get the error
"Malformed email address" on one message (it did happen in the past,
once every 2 years maybe). As a consequence, messages following the
malformed one cannot be read and no message is deleted from the INBOX,
resulting in reading the same messages over and over again.

This time I managed to identify and keep a copy of the
concerned message.

I am reading my mail through POP3, with movemail installed as part of
mailutils-3.1.1_3.

Emacs installation is pretty standard, build from FreeBSD ports.

Trying to read the same message with Thunderbird (POP3 and IMAP) did not
give any error message.

I have been using Emacs for over 30 years and I have always been
completely happy with it, but that bug bugs me.

Attached is a copy of the message.

Best regards,

Olivier

---------------------------

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.3, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2017-03-07 built on banyan.cs.ait.ac.th
Windowing system distributor 'StarNet Communications Corp.', version 11.0.8100
Configured using:
 'configure --localstatedir=/var --with-gameuser=games:games
 --disable-acl --without-canna --with-dbus --with-gnutls --with-modules
 --with-x --with-xml2 --with-file-notification=kqueue --with-sound=oss
 --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-cairo --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-imagemagick --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-gconf --without-gsettings --with-m17n-flt --with-libotf
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-xft --with-xim --without-xwidgets
 --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib --x-includes=/usr/local/include
 --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-silent-rules
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.3 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 -fno-strict-aliasing' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS= -fstack-protector''

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
LUCID X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: RMAIL Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done
Getting mail from the remote server ...
movemail: cannot append message 1: Malformed email address
(No new mail has arrived)
Computing summary lines...done
0 new messages read
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done
Showing message 906...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug thai-util thai-word nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit sort thingatpt mail-extr
warnings misearch multi-isearch shr-color color url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars shr seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv dom subr-x browse-url qp rmailsum
rmailmm message idna sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 221608 18023)
 (symbols 48 35501 0)
 (miscs 40 1219 1822)
 (strings 32 41659 5678)
 (string-bytes 1 1109439)
 (vectors 16 18863)
 (vector-slots 8 551619 12631)
 (floats 8 408 491)
 (intervals 56 3225 748)
 (buffers 976 27))

--