Subject: [bug#31582] git-annex make install

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:12:28 -0400

Joey Hess <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for your work on this package, I'm excited to see it.

My pleasure!  Thanks for creating git-annex :).

> You could avoid most of the problems with Setup.hs by using git-annex's
> Makefile. That has targets to build the man pages and install
> everything. The equivilant code in Setup.hs is really only there to
> minimally support people installing with haskell tooling, but the
> Makefile is generally preferable for distribution use.

This is really useful.  I probably should have looked at the Debian
package a little more closely.  I got the impression that Hackage was
the main source for git-annex, and went straight from there to Cabal.

> Also, I'd encourage you to enable S3 and WebDAV in the build, since
> those are often used, and you're not testing all the other storage
> backends that are already supported in your build; nor should you need
> to. `git-annex testremote` is there so users can test this stuff in
> their own environments.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Both WebDAV and S3 should be easy enough
to add to the package.  The web client and the Android stuff probably
not so much.

Thanks a million for your help here. I will put together some patches
soon to fix the manuals using the Makefile, and I will add S3 and
WebDAV.