Subject: bug#31582: closed (Re: [bug#31582] [PATCH v2 8/8] gnu: Add git-annex.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 08:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31582: [PATCH 0/8] git-annex

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31582: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31582
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#31582] [PATCH v2 8/8] gnu: Add git-annex.
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 10:36:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Timothy & Chris,

Since Chris said it’s OK and it builds fine for me, I went ahead and
committed the whole series.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/8] git-annex
From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 15:19:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

This patch series adds a package for “git-annex”.  The package is not
quite perfect, but I think it is far enough along to be included.

One of the issues is that it only builds a very minimal version,
disabling most of the optional features (the most important being the
Web app).  One reason for this is that we are missing quite a few of
these features’ dependencies.  Another reason is that I’m not really
familiar with them, so I wouldn’t know how to test them ;).

The other issue is that I needed to rework the build a fair bit, and I
did it in a bit of a shoddy way.  The way that the Haskell build system
sets up the environment means that the “Setup.hs” does not run properly.
It passes the Haskell package DB as a parameter to Cabal, but this
doesn’t affect the code that initializes Cabal.  On the other hand,
Cabal disallows the package DB to be passed in by environment variables.
It might be possible to pass it in as a parameter to “runhaskell”, but
I’m not sure.  Following that path would require copying large chunks of
the build system into the package, which seems like a poor choice!  (As
far as I can tell, this is the first package with this problem.  If it
were more common, I would suggest an update to the build system itself.)
In the end, I decided to cheat a little, and factor out the different
parts so that they can be run separately.  This means that the ‘man’
pages do not get installed :/.  Maybe that could be fixed later, though.

-- Tim