Subject: bug#31572: closed (Re: bug#31572: 26.0.91; emacs-26.1 RC1 fails norton virus check)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 18:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31572: 26.0.91; emacs-26.1 RC1 fails norton virus check

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31572: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31572
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31572: 26.0.91; emacs-26.1 RC1 fails norton virus check
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 21:26:42 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 11:03:59 -0700
> From: Jeff Sondeen <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi all, i've been running Emacs version 26.091, but just downloaded
> emacs-26.1-rc1-x86_64.zip, but Norton Security has quarantined several
> *.exe's (runemacs.exe, etags.exe, etc) under
> emacs-26.1-rc1-x86_64/bin, complaining about a virus called
> "WS.Reputaton.1 Insight Network Threat" as per the attached pix (I
> didn't have this problem with 26.091)

That's a false alarm, suggest that you tell Norton Security about that
so that they get their act together.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.0.91; emacs-26.1 RC1 fails norton virus check
From: Jeff Sondeen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 11:03:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all, i've been running Emacs version 26.091, but just downloaded
emacs-26.1-rc1-x86_64.zip, but Norton Security has quarantined several
*.exe's (runemacs.exe, etags.exe, etc) under
emacs-26.1-rc1-x86_64/bin, complaining about a virus called
"WS.Reputaton.1 Insight Network Threat" as per the attached pix (I
didn't have this problem with 26.091)

thanks,
/jeff

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-22 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 752fba992b793a74d202c9cfc3e1a92fd458e748
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Recent messages:
Loading sort...done
Loading register.elc...done
Sunrise 5:49am (Pacific Daylight Time), sunset 7:53pm (Pacific Daylight Time) at 34N, 118.5W (14:04 hrs daylight)
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Counting messages...done

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mailalias emacsbug sendmail shr-color color url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs url-vars
shr svg xml dom browse-url qp rmailmm message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils
mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils mailabbrev solar cal-dst
cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs sort time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 132877 18569)
 (symbols 56 21677 1)
 (miscs 48 169 216)
 (strings 32 35347 923)
 (string-bytes 1 976509)
 (vectors 16 17176)
 (vector-slots 8 525350 13054)
 (floats 8 577 206)
 (intervals 56 2609 276)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 

thanks,
/jeff