Subject: Re: bug#31551: 27.0.50; emacs hangs in hexl-mode on modula2 files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 15:27:14 -0400

>> At the same time, it's only enabled if the user explicitly requests it
>> (as is the case in the OP's recipe), so I think we can consider this
>> a pilot error.
> I thought so too, until I turned on show-paren-mode _before_ switching
> to Hexl, and saw it still turned on when in Hexl.

You mean it stayed enabled, right?

>> Agreed.  Hexl-mode should use a "normal" major mode (e.g. calling
>> kill-all-local-variables).  In order to properly reset the previous
>> major mode, it could either save&restore all previous local-vars, or
>> just save the previous major-mode and call that major-mode
>> function to restore the state.
>
> Well, this is a much larger job than I hoped will be necessary.

Maybe not.

> In the long run, certainly.

It might be just a matter of extracting existing code,

        Stefan