Subject: 25.3; bytecompile fails with eval-when-compile

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 18:00:54 +0900

(byte-compile `(eval-when-compile (list ,@(make-list 2047 0))))

Evaluating the form above, emacs (with -Q option) reports
  Error: Memory exhausted--use C-x s then exit and restart Emacs
in *Compile-Log* buffer.
The returned value of the form is t.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-09-27 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: JPN
  locale-coding-system: cp932

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils
warnings byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv time-date mule-util japan-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96577 5188)
 (symbols 56 20186 0)
 (miscs 48 54 117)
 (strings 32 17426 3747)
 (string-bytes 1 488163)
 (vectors 16 13751)
 (vector-slots 8 513163 14478)
 (floats 8 165 49)
 (intervals 56 237 13)
 (buffers 976 19))