Subject: [bug#31548] [PATCH] gnu: Add sbcl-stumpwm-checkout.

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 13:46:43 +0300

Hello Ludovic,

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/packages/lisp.scm (sbcl-stumpwm-checkout): New public variable.
>
> [...]
>
>> +(define-public sbcl-stumpwm-checkout
>> +  (let ((commit "cec7fd9e963e5da59b05ba0ffbe292dc94fd2947"))
>> +    (package
>> +      (inherit sbcl-stumpwm)
>> +      (version (git-version (package-version sbcl-stumpwm) "1" commit))
>
> Could you explain the rationale and write that as a comment?  :-)
>
> As you know we currently avoid packaging unreleased versions unless we
> have a good reason to do so (info "(guix) Version Numbers").

The reason I want to be it in a Guix package collection is StumpWM
release version (not a release candidate) was published 1 year ago and
since this date there are 250 commits in master branch.

I was using StumpWM builded manually with Quicklisp, but then I switched
to Guix package, because I don't want to build StumpWM manually, but I
found that StumpWM command ‘toggle-always-on-top’ is missing and StumpWM
contrib modules failed to build.

It's a fast dirty solution to have StumpWM from Guix and StumpWM contrib
modules with some dependencies builded with Quicklisp.  :-)  E.g.:

~/.stumpwm.d/init.lisp
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(load "~/quicklisp/setup.lisp")

(set-module-dir "~/.stumpwm.d/modules/")

(ql:quickload "clx-truetype")
(load-module "ttf-fonts")
(xft:cache-fonts)
(set-font (make-instance 'xft:font
                         :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"
                         :subfamily "Book"
                         :size 14))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The best solution is to package all StumpWM contrib modules as separate
recipes, but I'm not sure how do it right now because for example
‘sbcl-winner-mode’ package recipe complains about STUMPWM not found.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Component :STUMPWM not found, required by #<SYSTEM "winner-mode">
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Regards,
Oleg.