Subject: bug#31543: Building a clean guix master checkout is impossible

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 10:45:09 +0200

Building a clean master checkout of guix is impossible right now.

I'm trying to build guix master de136f3ee7878dea139e751b7e4ca04c2542c91d
from guix master e5504f2ba0bd00a7306aada51981328b746b5f7d.

I get a lot of error messages related to unbound variables.
For good measure, I've deleted ~/.cache/guile now - but that didn't improve
matters.

guix/scripts/pack.scm

  LOAD     guix/scripts/pack.scm
Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    142:2 19 (dynamic-wind _ _ #<procedure 1407540 at ice-9/eval.scm?>)
    142:2 18 (dynamic-wind _ _ #<procedure 1409dc0 at ice-9/eval.scm?>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8 17 (_ #(#(#<directory (guix build compile) 15408c0> #<?> ?)))
    619:8 16 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guix b?> ?)) ?) ?) ?) ?) ?))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    152:2 15 (with-fluid* _ _ _)
  2788:17 14 (resolve-interface (guix scripts pack) #:select _ #:hide ?)
  2714:10 13 (_ (guix scripts pack) _ _ #:ensure _)
  2982:16 12 (try-module-autoload _ _)
   2312:4 11 (save-module-excursion #<procedure 6e7a030 at ice-9/boo?>)
  3002:22 10 (_)
In unknown file:
           9 (primitive-load-path "guix/scripts/pack" #<procedure 25?>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   626:19  8 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
   173:39  7 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
   202:51  6 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
   202:35  5 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
    155:9  4 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
   202:35  3 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
    159:9  2 (_ #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
   223:20  1 (proc #<directory (guix scripts pack) 7313780>)
In unknown file:
           0 (%resolve-variable (7 . gzip) #<directory (guix scripts?>)

ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
error: gzip: unbound variable

So I deleted the references from the file.

Then I get:

gnu/packages/commencement.scm

Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   222:29 19 (map1 _)
   222:29 18 (map1 _)
   222:29 17 (map1 _)
   222:29 16 (map1 (((guix scripts graph)) ((guix monads)) ((# #)) ?))
   222:29 15 (map1 (((guix monads)) ((guix gnupg)) ((gnu #)) (# ?) ?))
   222:29 14 (map1 (((guix gnupg)) ((gnu packages)) ((gnu # #) # ?) ?))
   222:29 13 (map1 (((gnu packages)) ((gnu packages #) #:select #) ?))
   222:17 12 (map1 (((gnu packages commencement) #:select (#)) (#) ?))
  2788:17 11 (resolve-interface (gnu packages commencement) #:select ?)
  2714:10 10 (_ (gnu packages commencement) _ _ #:ensure _)
  2982:16  9 (try-module-autoload _ _)
   2312:4  8 (save-module-excursion #<procedure 78c4330 at ice-9/boo?>)
  3002:22  7 (_)
In unknown file:
           6 (primitive-load-path "gnu/packages/commencement" #<proc?>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   626:19  5 (_ #<directory (gnu packages commencement) 72d8c80>)
    155:9  4 (_ #<directory (gnu packages commencement) 72d8c80>)
   173:55  3 (_ #(#(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages commen?> ?) ?) ?) ?))
    159:9  2 (_ #(#(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages commen?> ?) ?) ?) ?))
   223:20  1 (proc #(#(#(#(#<directory (gnu packages com?> ?) ?) ?) ?))
In unknown file:
           0 (%resolve-variable (7 . gnu-make) #<directory (gnu pack?>)

ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
error: gnu-make: unbound variable