Subject: bug#31529: closed (Re: bug#31529: Sentence order in dired.texi(emacs-26))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 09:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31529: Sentence order in dired.texi(emacs-26)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31529: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31529
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31529: Sentence order in dired.texi(emacs-26)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 11:59:58 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 19:25:27 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On 19 May 2018 at 12:47, Takesi Ayanokoji <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I think the sentence
> >
> > Even if you have set @code{dired-recursive-deletes} to
> > @code{nil}, you might want sometimes to delete recursively directories
> > without being asked for confirmation for all of them.
> >
> > and the sentence
> >
> > This is handy
> > when you have marked many directories for deletion and you are very
> > sure that all of them can safely be deleted.
> >
> > is reverse order.
> 
> I don't think they're reversed, "this is handy" refers to the previous
> sentence "delete [...] without being asked [...] for all of them".
> Maybe it would be clearer if the second sentence said "For example"
> instead of "This is handy".
> 
> Also, I'd say the word "recursively" *is* reversed with one of the words
> around it, it should be either "recursively delete directories" or
> "delete directories recursively".

OK, I clarified the text there, and I'm marking the bug done.

Subject: Sentence order in dired.texi(emacs-26)
From: Takesi Ayanokoji <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 01:47:59 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi emacs developers.

In dired.texi:240..253

 You can delete empty directories just like other files, but normally
Dired cannot delete directories that are nonempty.  If the variable
@code{dired-recursive-deletes} is non-@code{nil}, then Dired can
delete nonempty directories including all their contents.  That can be
somewhat risky.  If the value of the variable is @code{always}, Dired
will delete nonempty directories recursively, which is even more
risky.  Even if you have set @code{dired-recursive-deletes} to
@code{nil}, you might want sometimes to delete recursively directories
without being asked for confirmation for all of them.  This is handy
when you have marked many directories for deletion and you are very
sure that all of them can safely be deleted.  For every nonempty
directory you are asked for confirmation; if you answer @code{all},
then all the remaining directories will be deleted without more
questions.

I think the sentence

Even if you have set @code{dired-recursive-deletes} to
@code{nil}, you might want sometimes to delete recursively directories
without being asked for confirmation for all of them.

and the sentence

This is handy
when you have marked many directories for deletion and you are very
sure that all of them can safely be deleted.

is reverse order.

How is this?

ayatakesi <[email-masked]>